33 days until Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
By Jenni . April 28, 2009 . 4:10pm
The Japanese release of Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days for DS is fast approaching, and more information is leaking out as the release date draws closer. Siliconera is going to offer in depth coverage of the game once it’s released. For now, here’s a look over what we know so far about the game and how exciting it is, or isn’t.
What looks/sounds good:
- The box art. It features what looks like a watercolor painting of Xion, Roxas, Axel, Riku and Mickey.
- Touch screen controls aren’t being tossed in just for the sake of being there. Nothing’s worse than developers tossing in touch screen controls that don’t work just because they can. Luckily, the DS is going to primarily use the face buttons so it plays more like the previous Kingdom Hearts games.
- The character graphics. Most of the screenshots that have been shown so far look really good.
- The music. If what’s playing in the background of the Japanese Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days site is any indication, it’ll sound great.
- The ability to customize Roxas’ keyblade with gears to change it’s form. It offers a plausible way to change and update his weapon, since I doubt Organization XIII members get the chance to go shopping.
- The ability to see Axel as a hero. He seemed likable and a bit tragic in the other Kingdom Hearts games he appeared in. It’ll be good to see him in a different light.
- The camera controls. The touch screen can be used to control the camera. The only thing is, I’m worried about fingerprints on the DS touch screen.
- The title. What once sounded mysterious is gradually beginning to make sense. The 358 refers to the days Roxas was a member of Organization XIII. The meaning of the “over two” part still isn’t clear. Perhaps it refers to both Roxas and Xion, since they are considered special members of Organization XIII.
What looks/sounds questionable:
- The special edition DSi being released to coincide with the game. The black DSi with a checkerboard design featuring heart, Mickey Mouse, Organization XIII and crown designs isn’t as aesthetically pleasing as the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time DSi or The World Ends With You DS. A DS or DSi skin could have been released and done the same thing.
- The existence of Xion. I hope Square Enix finds a good way to introduce and use her in the story, and that she doesn’t end up being a throw-away character introduced just to make a Roxas-Axel-Xion trio to match up with the Sora-Riku-Kairi and Terra-Ven-Aqua trios.
- The camera. There have been rumbling and rumors that the camera views aren’t always optimal.
- The lack of Final Fantasy characters. So far, we’ve only heard rumors of and seen images of Disney characters from Kingdom Hearts/Kingdom Hearts II appearing in the game. Let’s hope we see some familiar faces in Twilight Town and the Coliseum.
What looks/sounds awesome:
- The multiplayer that lets people team up to complete missions as the various members of Organization XIII. The characters seemed so cool as villains in Kingdom Hearts II and Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, so it’ll be great to finally have the chance to play as these characters. The chatting option on the touch screen also could be quite helpful.
- The movie sequences. The characters all look very cool and mysterious. Let’s hope they play out well in the actual game.
So readers, what about Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days has got you excited? What’s left you feeling disappointed?
Video game stories from other sites on the web. These links leave Siliconera.