By Ishaan . March 21, 2014 . 1:00am
Speaking with US Gamer, Comcept’s Keiji Inafune says he would still like to make Mega Man Legends 3. In fact, it’s the game he wants to make most.
“If somebody asked, even right now, what’s the game you want to create most? It’s still Legends 3,” Inafune said to the site. “I put so much effort into that game, so much passion into that game, but it didn’t happen. It’s always a regret in my mind. Even now…”
“We all know that’s not going to happen, though, as long as Capcom holds the IP,” Inafune continued. “But if they asked me to make that game, I could still gather most of the original team, even right now. Some of them have quit Capcom, some of them are still at Capcom, but I believe that team would be passionate enough to come back together and create that game. So… we’ll see what’s going to happen. You never know.”
As you may recall, Mega Man Legends 3 was cancelled while Inafune was still an employee of Capcom. Since then, he has struck out on his own to help create spiritual successors to the Mega Man games in the form of Mighty No. 9 and Azure Striker Gunvolt, in collaboration with Inti Creates, a studio that has worked on numerous Mega Man games.
Inafune added, “Let’s say that, if we have all seven Dragon Balls right here, right now, and Shen Long comes up and says, ‘What’s your wish?’ My wish would be, give me all the right tools, people, and environment to create Legends 3.”