Kadokawa Game Linkage has announced the winners of Famitsu Dengeki Game Awards 2020 at the March 2021 Game Live Japan stream. Animal Crossing: New Horizons won the show’s Game of the Year. Ghost of Tsushima, Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin, and Final Fantasy VII Remake also won multiple other awards in the presentation.
The full list of award nominees was published on February 24, 2021. The nominees were chosen based on votes by fans for any game released in 2020. Although most polls were done in Japan, Famitsu and Dengeki also held a couple of separate polls for Best Creator and Best Game in China.
Here are the winners of Famitsu Dengeki Game Awards 2020:
- Best Rookie: Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
- Best Esports Game: Apex Legends
- Best Indie Game: Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
- Best Online: Final Fantasy XIV
- Famitsu-Dengeki Special Award: Genshin Impact and Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa Heisei Reiwa mo Teiban
- Best Actor: Daisuke Tsuji (Jin Sakai in Ghost of Tsushima)
- Best Voice Actor: Takahiro Sakurai (Cloud Strife in Final Fantasy VII Remake)
- Best Character: Jin Sakai from Ghost of Tsushima
- WILDish Indie Award: Maneater
- Best Graphics: Ghost of Tsushima
- Best Music: Final Fantasy VII Remake
- Best Scenario: The Last of Us Part II
- Best Creator in China: Hideo Kojima from Kojima Productions
- Best Game in China: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Best RPG: Final Fantasy VII Remake
- Best Adventure Game: Altdeus: Beyond Chronos
- Best Action Game: Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
- Best Action-Adventure Game: Ghost of Tsushima
- Most Valuable Creator: Sucker Punch Productions and Nintendo’s Animal Crossing: New Horizons development team
- Game of the Year: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
The winner of Famitsu Dengeki Game Awards 2020’s Game of the Year, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, is immediately available worldwide on Nintendo Switch. Previously at the September 2020 Tokyo Game Show, the popular game also won the Grand Award, the highest equivalent award in Japan Game Awards 2020.