Persona 5 has now released worldwide for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, but Atlus has made it clear that they don’t want major story points spoiled through streaming gameplay or sharing screenshots. Last week, the company told Polygon their reason for disabling screenshot and gameplay sharing via the PS4’s sharing feature, saying that, “this being a Japanese title with solely a single-playthrough story means Japan is very wary about it.”
Atlus has now released more details for people who wish to stream Persona 5 in a new blog post. Here’s a list of their official guidelines:
- You can post however many additional videos you’d like, but please limit each to be at most 90 minutes long.
- No major story spoilers, and I’ll leave that up to your good judgment. If you need some guidelines, avoid showing/spoiling the ending segments of the first three palaces. While you can show initial interactions with Yusuke, avoid his awakening scene, and that whole deal about THE painting. Also, don’t post anything about a certain student investigator.
- I know I mentioned not showing the end of each palace, but you can grab footage from the Kamoshida boss fight. However, don’t capture video from the other major boss fights.
- Must not focus solely on cutscenes/animated scenes, should prominently feature dungeon crawling/spending time in Tokyo.
- You can post straight gameplay or have commentary.
Atlus then went on to request that players and reviewers alike refrain from discussing the game in “broad strokes,” adding the following examples of what was appropriate: “Good example: “The game deals with dark themes right off the bat, with a lecherous teacher and other corrupted individuals.” Bad example: “Players immediately run into trouble with the pervy teacher *spoiler*, whose actions go so far as to cause *spoiler*”
Additionally, streaming any content past the 7/7 date in the game is strictly prohibited as to avoid major spoilers.
Persona 5 is available for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3. Keep an eye out for Siliconera‘s Persona 5 live stream with Jenni soon.