Back on April 3, 2018, Square Enix announced it would release a series of patches to improve Chrono Trigger’s PC port. Today, the first of those patches has been released. The biggest change is the option to use original graphics, but three major adjustments have been made with this patch.
Here are the Chrono Trigger patch notes taken from Steam.
- Character sprites and background graphics adjusted to be more in-line with the original style of CHRONO TRIGGER. This can be selected from the menu as “Original” graphics, and is the new default selection.
- The font has been updated to give the game a more classic look.
- Text which did not match the game experience on PC has been revised, and a large number of other text issues have been corrected.
- Fixed the way the word “TRIGGER” is displayed as it floats in on the title screen.
- Adjusted the order of the demo video and animated opening sequence from the title screen to be more in-line with previous versions of the game.
- The background gradient of each text window has been adjusted to make it darker towards the bottom.
Square Enix also released before and after pictures, showing the difference between character sprites when the Original graphics option is chosen.
In addition, two changes for future patches have been announced. One will adjust the UI to make it more conducive whether a PC player is using a controller or keyboard scheme. This will include an option to have a UI with a mouse or tablet in mind, or one that works better with a controller or keyboard.
Chrono Trigger is available for the PC, as well as Android and Apple iOS devices.