The latest issue of Famitsu magazine has a special coverage celebrating Dynasty Warriors‘ 20th anniversary, which also includes an interview with the series producer Akihiro Suzuki. [Thanks, Ryokutya2089.]
In this interview, Suzuki looks back at the mixed reception of his team’s latest title Dynasty Warriors 9 while teasing multiple new titles to celebrate the series’ 20th anniversary. He also noted that the live-action movie adaptation has finished production.
You can read some of the highlights from the interview with Akihiro Suzuki below:
- “[Dynasty Warriors 9’s] system itself doesn’t fit Xtreme Legends, so there are no plans for a Dynasty Warriors 9: Xtreme Legends.”
- “Dynasty Warriors 9 is not received well by people who expected a usual Warriors/Musou game. And while there have been strong criticisms, there are also voices of praises. I think we may have derived and broadened our range too much on the challenge.”
- “Perhaps the Open World system won’t be adopted in future numbered titles, but it is the best method to pull out the appeal of Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Although I still don’t know yet what kind of title it will be like, I want to try making it once more.”
- “Although it’s just my own personal opinion, I think such a route like Dynasty Warriors 9-II would also be possible.”
- “I hope we can announce the 20th anniversary celebration titles soon. By the way, there is not just one title to celebrate it.”
- “The live-action movie is already done and I watched the advance screening. It’s a wonderful movie and is totally a Musou.”
Dynasty Warriors 9 is available on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam.