Nintendo has updated the Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games website, and every possible detail about the Nintendo 3DS version of the game has been revealed as a result.
To start, there will be 40 playable characters, 20 for both the Mario and Sonic sides. Characters will each have events they can participate in, as Mario and Sonic are the only ones who qualify for each event. Here’s a full list of all characters who will show up and their events.
- Luigi (100m Freestyle, Table Tennis)
- Peach (100m Freestyle, Golf)
- Rosalina (Rhythmic Gymnastics)
- Yoshi (100m, Soccer)
- Bowser (Boxing, Golf)
- Dry Bowser (Javelin Throw)
- Donkey Kong (Boxing, Volleyball)
- Diddy Kong (110m Hurdles)
- Bowser Jr. (Equestrian, Long Jump)
- Daisy (Rhythmic Gymnastics, Soccer)
- Wario (Archery, Javelin Throw)
- Waluigi (BMX, Long Jump)
- Nabbit (100m)
- Birdo (Archery)
- Dry Bones (BMX)
- Larry (Equestrian)
- Ludwig von Koopa (Table Tennis)
- Roy (Volleyball)
- Wendy (100m Freestyle)
- Tails (100m Freestyle, Volleyball)
- Knuckles (Boxing, Javelin Throw)
- Amy (100m Freestyle, Rhythmic Gymnastics)
- Shadow (100m, Soccer)
- Sticks (Archery)
- Cream (Volleyball)
- Rouge (Golf)
- Metal Sonic (100m, BMX)
- Silver (110m Hurdles, Archery)
- Dr. Eggman (110m Hurdles, Equestrian)
- Dr. Eggman Nega (Long Jump)
- Omega (Javelin Throw)
- Blaze (Equestrian, Rhythmic Gymnastics)
- Espio (Long Jump)
- Jet (Soccer)
- Vector (Golf, Table Tennis)
- Wave (BMX)
- Zavok (Boxing)
- Zazz (Table Tennis)
As for events, there will also be 14. They are as follows.
- 100m Freestyle
- 110m Hurdles
- Javelin Throw
- Long Jump
- Rhythmic Gymnastics
- Table Tennis
14 Dream Events, special variations of the standard events, will be in Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. During the Story, your initial affiliation will determine specific events and gyms available. The Sonic side gets Amy’s Training Gym, 100m, Table Tennis, and eventually a Sonic Mii costume, while the Mario side gets Peach’s Training Gym, 110m Hurdles, Volleyball, and a Mario Mii costume.
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games’ amiibo support is tied to Miis. People will be able to use the Super Mario Bros. 30th Anniversary amiibo, Mario, Sonic, Gold Mario, or Dr. Mario with the game. Their outfits temporarily are available, complete with improved stats, for 24 hours after they’re tapped. The Miis can use these and 270 other costumes in Champions Road to compete and train their avatar.
Miis also train during the Full Marathon. This is the Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games StreetPass mode where taking 42,195 steps lets a Mii complete a 42.195km marathon. StreetPassing allows other people’s Miis to visit yours, and new costumes and Apples and Melons for Champions Road are awarded for positive progress.
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games will be released for the Nintendo 3DS in Japan on February 18. It’s international release date hasn’t been announced. Local wireless for up to four people, with Download Play support, will be available.