Granzella showed off R-Type Final 2 at TGS 2019 today with a gameplay demo, and Famitsu has gone hands-on to see just how the game feels and plays in its current state.
Check the gameplay out below:
Some points from the video:
- Controller rumble occurs when you shoot the wave cannon.
- The graphics are really pretty, and the wave cannon feels as amazing to shoot out as usual.
Renowned Japanese shmup player sht was present at TGS, and listed off a few points he found regarding the gameplay:
- There is an Autofire button accessed by pressing R1, although it’s not that quick. It seems that this is to throttle turbo pads.
- There are four levels of speed that the ship can be changed to, via L1/L2. However, the speed level is only shown when changing it as of this build.
- There are five difficulty settings in the current build: Practice, Kids, Normal, Bydo, and R-Typer. However, just by this demo, sht wasn’t able to find the difference between Normal and R-Typer.
- The game will have players restarting from checkpoints, as per R-Type tradition. If you get the same power ups consecutively, they will be powered up.
- During charge shots, there is some frame drops, rather than slowdown.
- Overall, the game makes you feel, ‘Oh, this is R-Type’.
R-Type Final 2 is in development for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. We recently talked to the game’s director, Kazuma Kujo, for Disaster Report 4 and R-Type, and you can read more about it here.