Street Fighter EX developer Arika announced at Evo 2017 that their mystery fighting game that they’re calling “Arika EX” for the time being is headed to a worldwide release on PS4 in 2018.
What started as an April Fools’ prank is now going to be made as a full fighting game for PlayStation 4. The game will be the newest entry in the EX series.
Here are some more details shared about the upcoming fighter:
What is gougi?
In the past, Garuda (a being made up of the lingering grudges of powerful warriors who fell in battle) was sealed by the Hayate clan.
Although Garuda was resurrected once, thanks to the self-sacrifice of a Hayate descendant, he was sealed once again. However, feeding on the energy released during Kairi and Hokuto’s battle, Garuda was resurrected once more and became a demon that seeks out powerful souls in order to devour them.
Gougi is the very embodiment of a fallen warrior’s spirit; it contains Energy, Power, Skill, and Secret Techniques.
Powerful souls can join together with Gougi to draw out new powers, but those with weak souls are unable to resist the Gougi and end up being corrupted.
Who is Shirase?
The true identity of “Hokuto,” once the bloodline seal placed on her was released. The illegitimate child of the Mizugami Family; to hide her real identity she took the name of Hokuto and joined the main family.
She was brainwashed at infancy and given the mission to kill Kairi; but once the spell wore off, “Hokuto” became no more.
With her final will, she sealed her younger sister Nanase’s memory, so that she could live a life as a normal girl.
- The true identity of the assassin Hokuto, after being freed from the seal placed on her.
- With her final will, she erased Nanase’s memories in order for her to live a normal life.
- Having lost the ability to feel emotion, her only mission now is to kill Kairi.
- Having lost his memory, he is now locked in an endless battle with other powerful warriors.
- Garuda has been following Kairi around the globe, feeding on the powerful spirits Kairi releases in battle.
- He is Nanase’s brother, and Shirase’s half-brother.
- A living corpse acting as the vessel for a countless number of powerful souls; he is made up of lingering grudges and resentment.
- Originally existing only to fight, in the flames of battle his sense of self became twisted and he turned into a monster that seeks to devour all other powerful souls.
- Once a great warrior sacrificed his life to seal Garuda away, but after resonating with a powerful “dark energy,” he was reborn.
- A descendant of the Hayate clan once sealed Garuda in his own body, but was eventually taken over and became the new vessel.
- With the energy released during Kairi and Shirase’s battle, 0Garuda was able to resurrect himself once more by feeding on the spirits of powerful warriors.
- After finding re-employment in a very good position, he is living a productive life as a Salaryman.
- However, he is troubled by the fact that he has no recollection over the recent Skullomania appearances.
- The doubt has given birth to new powers.
- He has a pet dog named Pochiro.
- The Undefeated Champion of Indora Pro Wrestling.
- After the God of Indora spoke to him in a dream, Darun resigned from his role as Purun’s bodyguard and made his way to Japan.
- He was utterly defeated by Garuda and left on the verge of death, but he was protected and saved by Gougi.
- He is now a man completely determined to face Garuda once again and defeat him.
- Incredibly Hot-blooded.
A limited-time playable beta-server test will take place at the end of 2017 on PlayStation 4. Pre-orders will be available in Japan alongside the Beta test, with bonuses to be announced at a later date. Pre-order details have yet to be decided for other regions, but they’ll be announced at a later date.
Arika EX, or “The Mysterious Fighting Game (title still undecided) releases simultaneously worldwide in 2018.