Bandai Namco and Project Aces will release a new update to Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown on January 19, 2021. Titled the “2nd Anniversary Update,” it will add more emblems and aircraft skins. The latter includes an aircraft skin based on a former glitch in Ace Combat 7. [Thanks, 4Gamer!]
A previous update in August 2020, which added US Armed Forces emblems and skins in Ace Combat 7, was noted to have a glitch where applying the Red Devils skin to F/A-18F Super Hornet would cause it to glow at several scenes. Although the glitch was fixed with a subsequent update, Project Aces decided to implement a re-enactment of the phenomenon on the X-02S Strike Wyvern, the fictional superplane available in the base game.
The 2nd Anniversary update will also add the following aircraft skins from prior Ace Combat games:
- Air Combat‘s Phoenix skin for F-22A Raptor
- Ace Combat 2‘s Scarface skin for Su-37 Terminator
- Ace Combat 04‘s Mobius skin for F-4E Phantom II
- Ace Combat Zero‘s Crow skin for F-16C Fighting Falcon
- Ace Combat X‘s Gryphus skin for F-22A Raptor
- Ace Combat 6‘s Garuda skin for F-15E Strike Eagle
- Ace Combat Infinity‘s Ridgebacks skin for ASF-X Shinden II
- Ace Combat 3‘s UPEO skins for Typhoon and Su-37 Terminator
Bandai Namco published a new trailer that showcases the new content. The update will also add 10 new emblems, including the Falco squadron from Ace Combat Xi, the Shooter and Spooky squadrons from Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, the series’ mascot Nugget, and a new illustration based on Ace Combat 7 protagonist Trigger’s insignia.
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown was released for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One two years ago on January 18, 2019. It is also now available on PC via Steam. Bandai Namco announced that the game had sold 2.5 million copies worldwide, which means it has sold 500,000 more copies since the two-million milestone reached in June 2020.