The May 16, 2019 issue of Famitsu magazine which releases this week is a special feature to look back at games that released in the Heisei period. From April 3 to 8 readers participated in a poll which asked them to select their most memorable games that released during the Heisei period.
Below are the top-3 best Heisei period games as voted by 7,158 Famitsu readers:
#3 NieR: Automata (205 Votes) – By Square Enix, released on February 23, 2017 (Heisei 29) for the PlayStation 4.
Comments from readers on NieR: Automata:
- “No game has ever moved me as much.” (Male, teens)
- “This game made me understand feelings that can’t be described by words.” (Female, 20s)
#2 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (209 Votes) – By Nintendo, released on March 3, 2017 (Heisei 29) for the Nintendo Switch and Wii U.
Comments from readers on The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- “It felt as if I were living in this land called Hyrule.” (Male, 20s)
- “The wonders of being able to go as far as the eyes can see.” (Female, 50s)
#1 Chrono Trigger (230 Votes) – By Square Enix (Then Square), released on March 11, 1995 (Heisei 7) for the Super Famicom
Comments from readers on Chrono Trigger:
- “It’s a masterpiece with everything from story, scenario, and music that has yet to fade.” (Male, 30s)
- “Going on an adventure beyond time with Crono (protagonist) and the others is a memory that I’ll never forget for the rest of my life.” (Female, 30s)
This week’s issue of Famitsu has a feature looking back at games during the Heisei period. It’ll also include the full top-20 list of games voted by its readers along with more comments, and other popularity rankings.