Back when Minecraft came to the Nintendo Switch, people noticed something about the game’s resolution. It remained a constant 720p in Handheld, Tabletop, and TV Mode. Microsoft said that wasn’t due to system power limitations, and that the game could be 1080p when docked eventually. On July 25, 2017, the Nintendo Switch version of Minecraft received an update that makes that possible. After downloading a patch today, Minecraft will display at 1080p on the Nintendo Switch when in TV Mode.
The Nintendo Switch Minecraft update also adds a number of extra features and fixes some issues with the game. A Biome Settlers 2 Skin Pack is available in-game, Glide has a Canyon Track, and Tumble has Terracotta and Glazed Terracotta layers. You also get Fire Resistance II from the Totem of Undying.
Here are the full June 25, 2017 Nintendo Switch Minecraft patch notes.
- Added Canyon, a free Glide track.
- Added Biome Settlers 2 Skin pack.
- Added Terracotta and Glazed Terracotta layers to Tumble.
- Enable 1080p display when placed in the Nintendo Switch Dock.
- Improved performance in Solo Glide when restarting the level (particularly with split-screen spectators).
- Totem of Undying now also applies Fire Resistance II.
- Fixed some areas where it was possible to escape from Battle maps or Glide tracks.
- Fixed a bug where players were unable to milk a Cow in Creative Mode.
- Fixed a bug where players were being teleported back to the Nether portal shortly after arriving in the other dimension.
- Fixed a bug where broken Banners wouldn’t stack with crafted Banners.
- Fixed a bug where Wheat, Ladders, and Banners were not correctly spawning in Woodland Mansions.
- Fixed a bug where Monster Spawners in Woodland Mansions were Pigs instead of Spiders.
- Fixed a bug where the Item Frame icon appeared when holding a Map.
- Fixed an incorrect death message when players were killed by Zombie Villagers.
- Fix for custom names of Mobs not being shown in death messages.
- Fix for being unable to unlock “Sniper Duel”.
- Fix for being unable to unlock “Camouflage”.
- Fix for MCCE #5183 – Player can kill a tamed Parrot with PvP disabled.
- Fix for MCCE #5062 – Farmer Villagers only plant one seed after harvesting a whole crop of seeds from a field.
- Fix for MCCE #4103 – Time spent on the Pause menu when under water counts towards the “Free Diver” trophy.
- Fix for MCCE #3112 – When trying to throw food, Villagers throw it in the wrong direction.
- Fix for MCCE #5219 – Two types of Bone Block with different pictures.
- Fix for MCCE #4989 – Zombie Villager Spawn eggs are the wrong colour.
- Fix for MCCE #5261 – Flower hitbox is displaced.
- Fix for MCCE #4897 – Beds explode when TNT Explodes is disabled.
- Fix for MCCE #4954 – Mobs can’t move with a block above them.
- Fix for MCCE #3010 – Constructing an End portal in a certain method can lead to the End Portal being created next to the portal frame.
- Fix for MCCE #5292 – Only regular Skeletons spawning in the Nether.
- Fix for MCCE #5151 & MCCE #5208 – Item frames don’t show the custom name of their items.
Minecraft is available for the Nintendo Switch via the Nintendo eShop. Physical copies are not yet available.