According to a new pack of Sakura Revolution trailers, the future is looking black. Or rather, B.L.A.C.K., the lead unit of the Great Imperial Combat Revue. The mobile spin-off of Sakura Wars handled by Fate/Grand Order developer Delightworks is on track to release in a matter of weeks, and its latest content drop reveals more about the armor-clad idols that support the government and fight against the rebels in the Imperial Combat Revue.
The trailer opens with brief character lines from B.L.A.C.K., headed by the Great Imperial Combat Revue’s top star, Prana Tosei. She, along with Meisa Akashi and Kurumi Saimei, were the first three Sakura Revolution characters ever seen, back when it was still being teased as “Project BLACK.” The trailer also reveals several more B.L.A.C.K. members, each with their own “Knight Mode” mecha suits:
- Prana Tosei – Voiced by Lynn (Fire Emblem Fates‘ Azura, Pokémon:Twilight Wings‘ Sonia)
- Meisa Akashi – Voiced by Ami Koshimizu (Genshin Impact‘s Beidou, Code Geass‘ Kallen)
- Kurumi Saimei – Voiced by Nao Touyama (Granblue Fantasy‘s Lyria, Goblin Slayer‘s Elven Archer)
- Kurea Sekisho – Voiced by Ahiru Ohira
- Maju Kazayuki – Voiced by Ayumi Ayano (Kemono Friends‘ Scarlet Ibis)
- Tenka Keburai – Voiced by Chihaya Yoshitake
- Miyabi Hanami – Voiced by Ayako Kawasumi (Fate/Stay Night‘s Saber)
From the trailer, the members of B.L.A.C.K. see the Imperial Combat Revue as rivals, “fakes” attempting to usurp their position as protectors of the people. Nevertheless, they seem sincere about their duty to defend Japan against the Kouki, as well as the Imperial Combat Revue’s rebellion against the government.
The second half of the trailer teases a new batch of characters based in Yamaguchi Prefecture. The previous streaming event revealed more about the Kyushu Flower Division, a cell of the Imperial Combat Revue based in Kyushu, Japan’s furthest western island. Based on the reveals, it appears that the story is structured like a military campaign, with the player starting at Aogashima island (where Shino, Fuuka and Asebi are from) and rallying Imperial Combat Revue members, province by province:
The Kyushu Flower Division’s members include:
- Mamiya Osumi – voiced by Mitsuho Kanbe
- Yuu Takachiho – voiced by Minami Takahashi (Fire Emblem Fates‘ Peri, Food Wars!’s Megumi Tadokoro)
- Rin Shiranui – voiced by Kotomi Aihara ([email protected] Cinderella Girls‘ Shiki Ichinose, Gundam Build Divers Re:RISE‘s, Stola)
- Mei Kokonoe – voiced by Yukiko Motoyoshi
- Himeka Tenjin – voiced by Sachika Misawa (Fire Emblem Three Houses’ Hapi, Accel World‘s Black Lotus)
- Angelica Tamano – voiced by Rina Endou (God Eater 3‘s Phim, Sweetness & Lightning‘s Tsumugi)
- Imari Kusuno – voiced by Hitomi Sasaki
Sakura Revolution is planned for a 2020 release on iOS and Android in Japan. No global release plans have been announced. New reveals are scheduled for another stream on November 20, 2020. Check out our previous stories for an extended gameplay trailer and more about the game’s backstory.