In addition to revealing that Warriors Orochi 4 will include 170 playable characters, Koei Tecmo had more to share about its characters and gameplay in this week’s issue of Famitsu magazine. [Thanks, Ryokutya2089 (1), (2)]
- The first part that was confirmed was that Warriors Orochi 4, which was previously announced for PS4 and Nintendo Switch is also in development for PC but it will release after the console versions launch in Japan.
- There will be 170 playable characters, but only five of them will be brand-new and they haven’t been revealed yet. This time around, the enemy is Zeus. There’s a good chance the five new characters will be from the Twelve Olympians such as Athena or Poseidon.
- The new system called “Divine Action” (or “Thaumaturgy Action”) will add new elements such as Divine Arts and Deification.
- This time there won’t be any collaboration characters such as Ryu Hayabusa.
- As for the story summary, after defeating Orochi the heroes returned to where they belong. All of their memories are lost, but their worlds will intertwine once more. Eight bangles are the keys to going back to their respective worlds. Zeus seems to be involved, but his goal is unknown.
- You can equip Sacred Treasures to use Divine Arts.
- Divine Arts come in various effects such as the ability to group up enemies followed by an attack.
- One new stage is like a Greek Parthenon temple.
- The reason there won’t be any collaboration characters is to focus going back to the roots of the Three Kingdom and Sengoku, or warring states.
- The story and setting is being supervized by Yoshitaka Murayama, best known as the creator of the Suikoden series.
- Orochi will be a key character. Orochi and Shin Orochi will exist at the same time, but details on that are a secret for now.
- Warriors Orochi 4 will have the familiar controls such as Square→Square and Square→Square→Triangle.
- The “Deification” becomes usable as for key characters once you progress through the story and meet certain battle conditions. This changes their appearance and gives them an action power-up.
- It’ll have three-man groups.
- There will be a Free Mode-like element.
- Koei Tecmo is considering a two-player local multiplayer with Joy-Cons, but they’re trying to work around the lack of buttons.
- Koei Tecmo hopes to release the game by Fall 2018.
Warriors Orochi 4 releases in Japan in 2018 for PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch. The game will also release in the West, but the platforms have yet to be announced. Koei Tecmo also teased one of the brand-new characters, which you can check out in our previous report.