By Spencer . August 2, 2010 . 1:33am
Heads up Siliconerites! Unscrupulous characters are using Starcraft II hype to steal Battle.net accounts. We received multiple e-mails promising a Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty CD-key by following “instructions”. Each e-mail came with a phony receipt and a link to a fake Battle.net login screen that didn’t have battle.net as the URL.
As a public service announcement, be extremely cautious if you recieve any e-mails that do not come directly from Blizzard (@blizzard.com or @battle.net).
For reference, an example e-mail and scammer e-mail address are posted below with the malicious links removed.
Hello, thank you for shopping at the Blizzard Store!
StarCraft II®: Wings of Liberty™: 2775298057033043807536803
To use this key to activate the game, simply follow these instructions:
1. Create a Battle.net account (or if you already have one, log in) at <malicious URL removed!>
2. Verify your e-mail address. (If you have previously verified your address, skip this step.) From the main Account Management page, click the ‘verify this e-mail address’ link. Then, check your e-mail account for a verification e-mail. Click the link in this e-mail to verify your e-mail address.
3. Return to the Battle.net account management page, then click on ‘Code Redemption’.
4. Enter the above CDKey in the code field.
5. Once you have successfully redeemed this code, you will be able to play the game.
NOTE: If you have previously chosen to gift your digital purchase, attaching this key to their Battle.net account will prevent you from being able to redeem this key with your Battle.net account.
Customer Account: <e-mail address removed>
Order Date: 2010-8-2
Order #: 3893676
(1) StarCraft II®: Wings of Liberty™ – $59.99
Credit Card Number : ****-****-****-4406
Credit Card Type : Visa
Item Subtotal: $59.99
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Shipping Tax: $0.00
Grand Total: $59.99
If you have any questions or concerns about your order, please contact us at:
Phone: Toll-free at (1-800-592-5499)
Live phone support is available seven days a week, 8:00AM – 8:00PM Pacific Time.
Thanks for shopping with us!
Blizzard Customer Service