Koei Tecmo revealed the latest characters to join Dynasty Warriors 9 with Xu Sheng, Wang Yuanji, Sima Zhao, Xingcai, Zhang Bao, Cao Pi, and Zhenji. We also got details on the game’s combo system in this week’s issue of Famitsu magazine. [Thanks, Game Jouhou.]
In addition to the reveal of Xu Sheng (CV: Tarusuke Shingaki) who uses Dual Meteor Hammers as a weapon, the magazine shared details on the “State Combo System”:
- There are three types of attacks: Trigger, Flow, React.
- By pressing R1 and any of square, triangle, and X, you can activate a Trigger Attack to hit the enemies upwards, knock them out, or overturn them.
- A Flow Attack is an attack that changes based on the enemy’s state.
- R1 + square is a Trigger Attack that can then affect surrounding enemies with a Flow Attack. By pressing R1 + triangle you can hit enemies up in the air and follow up with a Flow attack that slams them back to the ground.
- Think of it as using a Trigger Attack to inflict a certain condition to the enemy and then a Flow Attack as a follow up. From there you can continue using a different Trigger Attack and another Flow Attack.
- You can also use a basic Flow Attack by hitting an enemy in a normal state.
- The triangle button can be used as a “React” move, or a counter.
- R1 + circle has varying effects depending on the character.
- You can also wall jump to climb over buildings and ledges.
Dynasty Warriors 9 is in development for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC in the West. The game will release on PS4 in Japan.