Sega announced more free Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 characters and modes will arrive via an update. The new post-launch content includes new characters, online challenge modes, new music, and accessibility options. The new features will all appear on February 4, 2021.
To celebrate the brand’s 30th anniversary, Sega announced multiple characters from the series will return in Puyo Puyo Tetris 2. Sega revealed this on February 4, 2021, which is the annual “Puyo Day.” As a fun fact, an alternate Japanese reading of “2-4” is pronounced as “Pu-Yo.”
Here are the details on what the new update will bring:
- 20 new avatars.
- Four-player online capability with all six challenge modes.
- New tracks for background music, including songs from the Japan-exclusive Puyo Puyo Chronicle.
- Accessibility options for color and vision. These are the same settings from Puyo Puyo Champions to accommodate those who might be colorblind.
- Four new playable characters.
- Serilly: a mermaid with buff and debuff skills.
- Rafisol: a mysterious character with the ability to change your held Tetrimino.
- Possessed Klug: with a skill to set up a T-Spin attack.
- Yu & Rei: twin ghosts with the ability to remove up to 32 Garbage Puyos.
Sega promised that there will be more free Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 post-launch updates.
Outside of the game, we also heard about a special Danganronpa collaboration with the Puyo Puyo brand. The unlikely marriage features useful accessories like keychains, pocket mirrors, and acrylic stands.
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 and its update are available on the Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, and Xbox One. The game will also come to PC via Steam on March 23, 2021.