Satellite Reign is a cyberpunk spiritual successor to Syndicate Wars, where the goal is to free the population of a city from the corporations that control it. Recently, the game’s developers shared a developer diary that details some of the intricacies of the game, such as how you’ll be using infiltration and combat to achieve your goals. You can watch the video below, with notes below that:
On the “good vs. evil” battle in the game:
- There is no strict good vs. evil battle.
- The ultimate goal is to wrest power from the corporations.
- Goals can be carried out in both moral and immoral ways.
- You can free people from the control of corporations without violence.
- Alternatively, you can use them as meat shields or other purposes.
- You can either take the corporations down or take their power yourself.
On hacking into people’s minds and controlling them:
- Hacker starts out being able to start out a couple of civilians.
- Effectively, you’ll be able to give them orders.
- They’ll be able to attack on your behalf or shield you.
- Alternatively, you’ll be able to let them cause a riot.
- There will be a range outside of which you’ll lose control of them.
- Eventually, you’ll be able to control corporate soldiers as well.
On espionage/infiltration vs. violence:
- You won’t be able to avoid violence entirely.
- Alternatively, you will be able to avoid espionage entirely.
- Your team is four units: Soldier, Support, Assassin, Hacker.
- You’ll be able to upgrade all four units’ abilities.
- How you upgrade them will affect your infiltration/violence options.
- It won’t just be mind control; you’ll also be able to bribe people.
- The city is simulated, so combat won’t be restricted to just one area.
We’ll have more information on Satellite Reign as it is made available.