By Ishaan . January 12, 2012 . 4:32pm
With 2011 over and done with, the NPD Group have released a list of the top-10 selling games (via physical retail channels) during the year. You can peruse this list below:
|01.||Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3||PS3, 360, Wii, PC||Activision Blizzard|
|02.||Just Dance 3||PS3, 360, Wii||Ubisoft|
|03.||The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim||PS3, 360, PC||Bethesda Softworks|
|04.||Battlefield 3||PS3, 360, PC||Electronic Arts|
|05.||Madden NFL 12
||PS3, 360, Wii, PSP, PS2||Electronic Arts|
|06.||Call of Duty: Black Ops||PS3, 360, Wii, PC, DS||Activision Blizzard|
|07.||Batman: Arkham City||PS3, 360, PC||Warner Bros.|
|08.||Gears of War 3||360||Microsoft|
|09.||Just Dance 2||Wii||Ubisoft|
|10.||Assassin’s Creed: Revelations||PS3, 360, PC||Ubisoft|
A few points to note about 2011:
1. Total consumer spend on videogame-related content and hardware via physical channels was down 8% in 2011 as compared to the previous year.
2. However, the NPD Group estimate that other forms of monetization — used games, digital full game and add-on content downloads, mobile games, social network games, subscriptions and rentals — saw an increase of 7% over 2010, offsetting the drop in total physical spend to an extent.
3. The bottom line is that total consumer spend in 2011 across all categories is estimated to be down approximately 5%.
4. The Xbox 360 was the best-selling platform in the U.S. in 2011, and both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 saw increased sales over 2010.
5. Driven by Just Dance sales, the dance genre grew 66% over 2010.