By Ishaan . August 7, 2012 . 11:31am
As previously reported, for the next Super Smash Bros. games, in development for both the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, Nintendo have recruited Namco Bandai to collaborate on development with the series’ director, Masahiro Sakurai.
Speaking with IGN, Sakurai recently dropped a few hints about the new games. For starters, Sakurai says the development team doesn’t plan to make any drastic changes, such as taking the series 3D.
“The game system itself is complete, so we don’t want to make it 3D or introduce complicated controls just for the sake of it,” Sakurai shares. “However, I am thinking of ways we can introduce a slightly different, fun experience all the while keeping the usual frantic game play.”
Speaking to the possibility of including more third-party characters in the new games, Sakurai says he understands the appeal, but that he doesn’t want to go overboard at the same time.
“I think Snake and Sonic joining were fantastic. It made many fans happy, and it broadened the Smash Bros. arena,” he shared. “However, introducing more non-Nintendo characters willy-nilly will lose the focus of the game, so I also recognise the need to narrow it down.”
With regard to the Wii U version, Sakurai also confirms that he feels the Gamecube controller isn’t the only way to control Smash Bros., and that the development team will look into control methods that fit the Wii U as well.