Tags: PlayStation 4
Massive PlayStation 4 FAQ Addresses Region Locking, Online IDs And More
Published on October 30, 2013
Written by: Ishaan
Sony have released a lengthy FAQ (European version here) that answers a number of questions regarding the upcoming PlayStation 4 console, addressing everything from used games to online IDs, to region locking (no, the system isn’t region-locked) to the Dualshock 4 controller. Here are a few tidbits:
Is there a way to rename my Online ID on PS4?
No. But PS4 does give you the option of allowing your friends to see your real name in addition to your Online ID. You can also choose to import your Facebook photo to be used as your PSN profile picture if you wish.
Do PS4 games have regional locks?
In general, neither digital nor disc-based games will be region locked, but PlayStation recommends that all users purchase games at the region of their residence to guarantee the best overall experience and customer service. In certain instances, a software publisher may choose to region lock a game title for specific reasons, but Sony Computer Entertainment expects these instances to be uncommon.
Can the DUALSHOCK 4 controller connect to a PC?
Yes, you can connect a DUALSHOCK 4 controller to your PC using USB, and it will support basic functions. In regards to DUALSHOCK 4 supporting full compatibility for playing PC games, there are no details to share at this time.
What network services will be free on PS4, without a PlayStation Plus membership?
Some of the features users can enjoy for free include:
- Accessing entertainment, film, and TV services (Users must subscribe separately to individual services)
- Share options, including sending gameplay video and screenshots to Facebook, screenshots to Twitter, or livestreaming gameplay via Ustream or Twitch
- Sharing video to Facebook,
- Playing PS4 games remotely using the PS Vita system (Remote Play)
- Comparing Trophy data with other users
- Sending and receiving text messages from other users
- PlayStation Store access (users must pay to purchase premium content)
- Live item, activity feeds on Dynamic Menu
- Party (cross game voice chat)
- Web browser
- PlayStation App services (on iOS/Android devices)
You can read the FAQ in its entirety over at the PlayStation Blog.