Two of the Utawarerumono games are being released in the Americas and Europe. Atlus has picked up Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen and Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro for the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita and is releasing them as Utawarerumono: Mask Of Deception and Utawarerumono: Mask Of Truth. The former will appear in spring 2017, while the latter will arrive later in 2017. The $49.99 PlayStation 4 and $39.99 PlayStation Vita version will be available digitally and physically in the Americas, but in Europe the PlayStation Vita installments will be PlayStation Store exclusives. Both games will have Japanese voice acting and English subtitles.
Utawarerumono: Mask Of Deception follows the adventures of a man named Haku, who finds himself alone in the wilderness with no memories. It’s there that Kuon, a demi-human with animal ears and a tail, finds him. Since Haku is unexpectedly weak, Kuon steps up to help him out. The two get caught up in a story filled with battles and political intrigue.
Here’s a list of Utawarerumono: Mask Of Deception’s features from Atlus.
- An Unforgettable Story – Mask of Deception offers a story-rich visual novel experience (40-50+ hours long) that lets players shape the future of a fully realized world filled with fantastical lore and history! Mask of Deception sets up the story for a thrilling conclusion in Mask of Truth, and we’ll reveal more information about the final game at a later date.
- An Active SRPG Battle System – Players will need to defend Haku and his friends by engaging in intense SRPG combat with the various hostiles that populate the world. The battle system is a thrilling mix of turn-based tactics and Attack Chain mechanics. Players can remain active during combat by successfully completing timing-based charging rings to execute critical attacks or vital dodges/blocks.
- Fully Fleshed Out Combat – Unique combat features such as the rewind function, elemental affinities/weaknesses, unique character skills, and more add a layer of depth to fights. It’ll take true tactical acumen to emerge victorious in battle!
- Breathtaking Art – With a stunning art style and beautifully rendered cutscenes, the game is a feast for the eyes for Japanese visual novel and anime aficionados!
- Beautiful Songs and a Thrilling Score – The rousing music, recorded and remastered at the legendary Abbey Road Studios and EastWest Studios, is a perfect soundtrack to accompany a great adventure.
Utawarerumono: Mask Of Deception originally appeared on the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Vita in Japan on September 24, 2015, followed by Utawarerumono: Mask Of Truth on the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Vita on September 21, 2016.