Idea Factory International announced that Brave Neptunia, the upcoming action RPG by Quebec-based Artisan Studios, will come to the West as Super Neptunia RPG, and it’ll release this fall for PS4 and Switch.
The side-scrolling RPG Super Neptunia RPG marks the very first Neptunia game in Idea Factory International’s history to be published for the Nintendo Switch. It’ll come with both English and Japanese audio, plus the option for French subtitles for both North American and European regions. Furthermore, the game will come in both physical and digital formats.
Super Neptunia RPG will see the characters of the Neptunia series come to life in a whole new way. Each character was hand-drawn by series artist Tsunako, then animated to create a world that’s mysteriously gone from three dimensions to two. It’ll have you explore side-scrolling dungeons and fight turn-based battles to settle the ultimate debate of “Which games are better: 2D or 3D?”
Here are more details on the story:
In a world where 2D games reign supreme, an organization called Bombyx Mori forces its citizens to churn out 2D games as offerings to their leader. Those who dare to use new technologies or whose games don’t meet their standards risk banishment to the soul-crushing Trial Grounds.
A girl awakens in this world with no recollection of anything beyond her name, Neptune, and soon realizes she possesses great strength. With her newfound sense of heroism and a strange book known as Histoire in hand, she sets off on a journey to see if there might be more than this two-dimensional life!
- Old School Dungeons! Explore gorgeously painted, interactive dungeons in a style inspired by classic gaming titles.
- Follow the Leader! Enter turn-based battles where the party’s attack style changes based on the battle leader.
- Switch leaders on the fly, transform mid-battle, and use elemental attacks to maximize your team’s strategy!
- Save Gamindustri! In a time where retro gaming and 3D graphics are at polar ends, this story delves headfirst into the debate for a self-aware ribbing of gaming culture.
- 2D Comes to Life! The hand-drawn art of Neptunia series artist Tsunako is brought to life by Artisan Studios, showing the characters in a whole new way!
Super Neptunia RPG releases in North America and Europe in Fall 2018 for PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch. The game releases in Japan on September 27, 2018, and a Switch version was also announced for South Korea.