Sega is working on a dream collaboration title between A Certain Magical Index and Cyber Troopers Virtual-On for PS4 and PS Vita, and they shared new info in this week’s issue of Dengeki PlayStation. [Thanks, Hachima.]
The following are highlights from producer Jurou Wataru’s interview with Dengeki:
- Sega is trying to make the game as close as possible to the one that appears in the novel.
- Consider it a reboot of Virtual-On from the novel that keeps the genes of Virtual-On. Older fans might be curious, but they can read the light novel for more hints.
- They’re currently working on the basic parts of the game, and are already over the alpha version.
- Can’t say how many units (Virtuaroids) that will appear in the game, but there will be more than what appeared in the novel.
- They’re thinking of using points as the framework for the rules, and from there putting together regulations and actions to go with it.
- You get points for stealing downs, and the difference between points is what determines the winner.
- Sega is listening to suggestions from fans, but they’d like to have an opportunity or some kind of event where they can share batches of information and let fans try out the game.
- Looking at it from Virtual-On perspective, they feel that online competitive play and cooperation is important, but players will also get to enjoy the scenario on their own.
- The characters will have their own unique abilities, and they’re looking to provide Virtuaroids that share an affinity with them.
- There are several Virtual-On and similar games that have you fight in a 3D space, but Wataru wants to come up with a new way to play. He also says that it’ll be important to consider the characteristics of the characters from A Certain Magical Index’s characters.
- Since they feel that fans don’t enjoy 1 vs. 1 battles as they used to in the past, they’re thinking of adding a more modernized design in addition to the 1 vs. 1 battles.
- Sega wants to make it into a game that can be enjoyed by fans who don’t play video games that often.
- More information may be revealed at Tokyo Game Show 2017, but for now Wataru can only say “Winter 2018.”
A Certain Magical Virtual-On is in development for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita. You can check out a teaser trailer for the game in our previous report.