It was found out recently that A Certain Magical Virtual-On has a varied Mission mode where players will fight under different rules and requirements than normal. (Thanks, ryokutya2089!)
Here are some of the featured rules and experiences:
- Arcade Battles: standard fights against an NPC (with machine tuning done before battle)
- Boss Battles: fights against larger-sized machines
- Destruction: a mode where you have to face a horde of enemies
- EX (Explosion) Code: a Metroid Prime: Blast Ball-esque experience where the goal is to shoot a ball into the opponents goal to get points. There is no HP bar or damage taken, and team play is crucial.
- Death Match: a no points fight
- Boss Rush
- Challenge Battle: a fight where machine upgrades are random
A Certain Magical Virtual-On releases in Japan on February 15, 2018 for the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita. A demo for the game featuring all 13 playable characters is now available on the Japanese PlayStation Store.