Nippon Ichi Software CEO Sohei Niikawa recently told Dengeki Online that the scenario of Disgaea 5 is currently in its preparation stage. Although the game is only in the early stages, he intends for it to surpass the first Disgaea.
This comes after the results of a survey by Dengeki in which fans voted for their favorite NIS games, excluding ports. The top 15 games are:
2. Disgaea 4
3. Disgaea 2
4. Disgaea D2
5. Soul Nomad & the World Eaters
6. Disgaea 3
7. Phantom Brave
8. Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
8. Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, Dood!
8. Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero?
11. Criminal Girls
12. Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman
13. Makai Kingdom
14. The Guided Fate Paradox
15. Little Princess: The Puppet Princess of Marl Kingdom 2
Niikawa stated that he will use these results as a reference, and if he was to make a Disgaea 4 D2, he would hope surpasses the original Disgaea 4.
Also, Niikawa added that he is happy that the Hayarigami horror mystery series still has a strong fanbase (the first Hayarigami ranked #16).
Along with that series, he will consider turning standalone games in the top 15 into series, Niikawa said.