Fire Emblem games have used the same “Weapon Triangle” system for a while now, where swords beats axes, axes crush lances, and lances triumph over swords, but this week’s issue of Famitsu magazine shares how things will be a bit different in Fire Emblem If. [Thanks, Zaregoto and Hachima]
While the weapons and the previously mentioned weapon strengths and weaknesses will be the same, Fire Emblem If adds an extra set of weapons to the mix. Here’s how it works: sword and magic > axe and bow > lance and hidden weapon.
Additionally, bows and other special attacks will work well against Pegasus Knights. As previously reported, Fire Emblem If won’t have limited weapon usage, but stronger weapons will have demerits of lowered abilities for the unit. Here are some examples:
- Bronze Sword: can’t use special attacks (critical hits) but adds +10 to evasion from special attacks.
- Iron Sword: no lowered abilities.
- Steel Sword: evasion –5, follow-up attack chance –3.
- Silver Sword: critical evasion –5, power and skill goes down by –2 for the next turn.
- Brave Sword: attacks twice, but –4 on defense and magic defense.
Next, here are some details on some of the characters we’ll meet in Fire Emblem If:
- Felicia: Maid (CV: Nozomi Sasaki)
- Joker: Butler (CV: Junichi Suwabe)
- Gunther: Great Knight (CV: Rokuro Naya)
- Suzukaze: Ninja (CV: Daisuke Ono)
- Saizou: Ninja (CV: Tarusuke Shingaki)
- Kagerou: Ninja (CV: Rie Murakawa)
Felicia, Joker, Gunther, and Suzukaze will appear as allies in both White and Black Kingdom. Meanwhile, Saizou and Kagerou will appear as allies only in White Kingdom.
Maids, butlers, and ninjas use dark weapons, which have the ability to lower enemy stats as part of an effect. Additionally, there will be different weapons in both versions of the game.
[Update: upon checking this week’s issue of Famitsu magazine, we’ve noticed that Gunther’s class is actually listed as “Great Knight,” which has been changed accordingly on our report.]
Fire Emblem If will release in Japan on June 25, 2015 for Nintendo 3DS.