Here’s what’s special about Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX. Instead of being locked into one vocal track for a song, some allow you to change the performer. It not only alters the character showing up in the video, but they will really sing the song. The thing is, this option isn’t available immediately.
No, if you want the option to enjoy multiple character’s vocal renditions of certain songs, you have to earn it. Playing through songs that offer this option on one difficulty once does nothing. You have to tackle and complete it at multiple levels and with various control schemes to unlock each one, sometimes tackling a song up to six times to open up every option.
Let’s use “Animal Fortune-telling” as an example. Miku, Rin, Luka, and Meiko are vocal options for this song. Miku is available at the start. If you wanted the other three, you could play and beat it on Easy, Normal, and Hard on Button mode and Easy on Tap mode.
Not every song in Hatsune Miku: Project Diva DX offers this option. Here’s a list of the ones that have different performers you can unlock, followed by the potential singers. The first singer (or singers) listed is the default performer.
- “Animal Fortune-telling” – Miku, Rin, Luka, and Meiko
- “Terekakushi Shishunki” – Len and Kaito
- “reverse rainbow” – Miku and Rin, Rin and Len, and Miku and Luka
- “Sing & Smile” – Miku, Rin, Len, Luka, Kaito, and Meiko
- “Mousou Sketch” – Miku and Rin
- “1925” – Miku, Rin, Len, Luka, Kaito, and Meiko
- “Romeo and Cinderella” – Miku, Rin, and Luka
- “Snowman” – Kaito and Len
- “Electric Angel” – Miku, Rin, and Luka
- “Interviewer” – Miku and Luka
- “Tricolore Airline” – Miku, Rin, Luka, and Meiko
- “PianoxFortexScandal” – Meiko, Miku, Rin, and Luka
- “Watashi no Jikan” – Miku, Rin, and Len
Make sure you replay all of those songs if you want to hear every version.
Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX is coming to the Nintendo 3DS on September 8.