Square Enix shared some new details on their upcoming modernized old school-style RPG, Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna, with details on a Materia-like slot system that will let you add new commands and abilities. [Thanks, Game Jouhou.]
- In addition to weapons and armor, there’s an item called “Waystone” that can be equipped to learn new commands or have added effects.
- There are different kinds of Waystones, and you can switch them around at any time.
- The number of Waystones that can be equipped will increase as you level.
- They can be acquired from shops by turning in material that you get from battles. You’ll need different materials depending on the type of Waystone.
Here’s a list of different Waystones abilities:
- Wall: Learn a magic that reduces the damage taken from enemies. By using the “Setsuna System” to time the ability, you can have its effect spread through the entire party.
- Provoke: Makes the enemies target the user. The Setsuna System timing adds a damage-reducing effect.
- Firebit: Characters that equip it have their fire attribute attacks increase.
- Stonebit: Adds an effect that adds petrify to the user’s attacks.
- Caloric: An effect that increases the range of various attacks. It can make regular attacks turn into multiple attacks.
- Harvest: Heals health after defeating an enemy.
- Avenger: Reflects a small amount of damage taken.
There’s also some information on a new character called “The Man with a Scythe.” He is said to not have any human-like emotions, and is almost like a god of death who will appear numerous times in attempts to kill Setsuna.
Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna will release in Japan on February 18, 2016 for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita.