Masahiro Sakurai wrote his thoughts about Cyberpunk 2077 in his latest Famitsu column. The Japanese game creator of Kirby and Super Smash Bros said he was particularly moved by how full refunds were offered for the console releases for the PlayStation and Xbox Series of systems. (Editor’s Note: The full column will appear in the latest Weekly Famitsu, and these are based on paraphrased excerpts from Ryokutya2089.) [Thanks, Ryokutya2089.]
Here are some highlighted quotes from Masahiro Sakurai’s column:
- “Dealing with refunds is something that makes even me feel deeply moved. This kind of sincerity was never heard of before.”
- “When I tried it on the PS4 Pro, I could play it without problem (as of December 20, 2020). It was mostly running at 30 frames per second.”
- “I played it on PC in the beginning. I encountered bugs multiple times.”
- “Cyberpunk 2077 is a dream game. I wonder how much planning and production was needed.”
- “Having a multi-platform release for an AAA title is at a level where that’s enough for me to say that it’s wonderful.”
- “I support this game from the bottom of my heart for sincerely dealing with [the refunds].”
In the same column, Sakurai also mentioned Meteos, a puzzle game he designed for Nintendo DS in 2005. He remembered how things accelerated at the final phase of its adjustments, and it ended up becoming more difficult than he thought. In a previous column, he also wrote about his impressions of the PlayStation 5.
Cyberpunk 2077 is available on the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, PC, and Google Stadia. The console releases have been criticized for having poor performances. Although CD Projekt Red promised to deliver patches in January and February 2021, it allowed people unhappy with it to ask for full refunds. The digital PlayStation release of the game is still not available in the PlayStation Store as of this writing.