In an interview at TGS 2018, Nippon Ichi Software President Sohei Niikawa sat down for an interview, where he discussed Disgaea 6, if Laharl might return in the Disgaea series’ future, the appeal of Nintendo Switch, and what they would do with a potential PlayStation 5. (Thanks, Game Informer!)
Here are the highlights:
- Regarding the Disgaea series, Niikawa was surprised by the performance of Disgaea 5 in the West. While he has no clue why this is, because this is the case, they plan on making more Disgaea games and releasing them Westward.
- As for Disgaea 6, Niikawa confirmed that, yes, it is in production. However, it’s still very early in development, and what’s going to be in it content-wise is still TBD.
- On the topic of the iconic trio of Laharl, Etna, and Flonne, Niikawa states that that Nippon Ichi definitely does want to revisit that cast, as well as other casts. They are always thinking of what to do with the Disgaea series, and while Disgaea 6 is most definitely the most anticipated title, there is a lot still planned for the series.
- Niikawa finds the Nintendo Switch appealing for the fact that it fits the needs of many players, by being both portable and playable on the TV. But what contributed to Nippon Ichi’s decision to fully support the Switch was Disgaea 5’s performance on the platform, especially overseas.
- If there were to be a PlayStation 5, Niikawa wants Nippon Ichi to be one of the first developers to bring games onto it. He’d like the company to continue making games for consoles and handhelds – not mobile, essentially. And that is why the general strategy going forward currently is to target PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and Steam.
You can check out the full interview here.