Not to be left out of the news, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has a new feature planned for the Playstation 3, PlayTV. Play TV lets the PS3 function as if it was a personal video recorder. Users will be able to watch, rewind and record live TV. Once a show is saved it can be transferred over to the PSP so you can view it on the go. Here is what Sony has to say about it:
· PlayTV’s two TV tuners are High Definition ready and are able to view, record and play back High Definition signals in full HD1080P to fully complement PS3’s already impressive High Definition credentials.
· Unlike the electronic programme guides found on conventional satellite and cable services, PlayTV’s EPG is lightning fast, and simple to use with either PS3’s SIXAXIS™ wireless controller or the BD remote control to really enhance viewing pleasure.
· Intuitive controls, single button help features, tutorial videos and simple navigation make PlayTV a positive joy to use compared with the complexity of some standalone PVR models
· Seamless connectivity with PSP allows you to set recordings, watch Live TV and recorded TV programmes remotely on PSP via a Wi-Fi connection (using Remote Play feature). Alternatively, quickly transcode recorded TV shows for high quality viewing to PSP by USB cable for remote viewing away from the home.
· Optional on-screen graphical display provides a wealth of information about the status of PlayTV and provides quick access to programme information, stored TV programmes and the controls to pause or record live TV. PlayTV will also set the correct interface for either Standard Definition or High Definition displays, maximising the viewing experience.
· PlayTV will evolve with time, with great added value functionality being updated via PLAYSTATION®Network; a feature that sets it above all other set top boxes. PlayTV will never be out of date.
In early 2008 Sony Computer Entertainment Europe is going to roll out the service in the UK, France, Italy, Germany and Spain Other PAL territories will be taken care of in the future. PlayTV sounds like an incredible addition for Playstation 3 owners. Hopefully, Sony Computer Entertainment America is planning on a similar service.