Square Enix announced today that the localized version of Romancing SaGa 2 for Android and iOS will be releasing in North America on May 26, 2016 for $17.99.
Here are some details from the official website:
About Romancing SaGa 2
Romancing SaGa 2 is one of the many titles in the lauded SaGa roleplaying game series. In this popular entry, released for the Super Famicom in Japanese only in 1993 and boasting sales in excess of one million copies, the player’s struggle spans multiple generations as he assumes the role of a series of rulers of the Varennes Empire in a valiant struggle against the Seven Heroes.
A free scenario system—a hallmark of the SaGa series—enables the player to take command of a variety of protagonists along the line of imperial succession and experience the history fo a nation as it grows and changes. This freedom of choice provides a compelling narrative that served as the cornerstone of the title’s success on its initial release.
The Legend of the Sven Heroes.
As demons from every dimension threatened to consume the land, Seven Heroes rose to banish the evils to whence they came. Yet they vanished without a trace before they could revel in their victory.
Tales of the seven—Kzinssie, Subier, Dantarg, Noel, Bokhohn, Rocbouquet, and Wagnas—were told around the world, and many clung to the belief that they would reappear to bring order to the world. People raised their voice in prayer with each successive blight, seeking succor and salvation.
Peace eventually embrased the land without the intervention of the seven, and their story faded into faerie tales.
Nations rose and fell until only a select few remembered the Seven Heroes and their deeds of valor.
Yet eventually the peace was shattered and dusty tomes describing the Seven Heroes were unearthed. Though they did come as prophesized…
- Glimmers: Using weapons and martial arts in battle occasionally enables the character to learn new techniques. A light bulb will flash over the character’s head when this occurs, indicating a new technique has been mastered and can be freely used from that point forward.
- Battle Formations: The attributes of characters vary depending on where they are placed within a particular formation, and they may become more or less likely to be targeted by enemy attacks. When someone not of Avalonian blood ascends to the throne, speaking with soldiers at the training grounds may enable him or her to learn new formations.
- Tempering and Concocting: New spells and techniques may be concocted and weapons tempered, and a university may even be constructed in Avalon itself. These and other such developments promote the growth of the Varennes Empire.
- Imperial Succession: When the emperor passes on, whether through falling in combat or by the mere passage of time, the player may select a successor to the throne. The new emperor is able to use all the techniques and spells of the previous one. Thus, the royal line becomes stronger over time, and previously unachievable goals slowly come into reach.
- Freeform Scenarios: Romancing SaGa 2 is an RPG with a dynamic freeform scenario system that enables the player to freely explore a variety of tales once the introductory event is over. Time passes and the world changes based on player actions.
Romancing SaGa 2 will release in North America on May 26 for Android and iPhone.