Romancing SaGa 3 remaster and Romancing SaGa Re; Universe are two titles that were announced for TGS 2018, and Square Enix shared a bunch of new details during a special broadcast at the expo. [Thanks, Gamestalk.]
Starting around the 5:32 mark you can catch a Romancing SaGa 3 remaster & Romancing SaGa Re; Universe trailer. There’s some battle footage at the 23:52 mark, and a recap on what the game is about at the 29:08 mark.
Here are highlights about Romancing SaGa Re; Universe from the broadcast:
- This is the first new Romancing SaGa entry in 23 years.
- Think of it as a concentration of what makes SaGa fun.
- The game is set 300 years after the events of Romancing SaGa 3, so you’ll see all kinds of connections to the SaGa universe.
- Since SaGa is all about the towers, the warriors from another world will gather in a tower in this game too.
- Each character is being touched up to have a Romancing SaGa 3 feel to them.
- The original story is being written with the series’ foundation as the base in order to go further beyond.
- The game is being co-developed by Akatsuki. The world setting is being handled by Square Enix’s SaGa team, with series creator Akitoshi Kawazu in charge of its scenario.
- There’s also a lot of SaGa: Scarlet Grace staff involved in the development.
- The developers are making sure it inherits the indispensable features the series is known for, such as Formations, Flash, and Combo systems.
- Composer Kenji Ito says he has “written countless songs” so far for Romancing SaGa Re; Universe.
- The team is currently working on event scenes (conversation parts) that features pixel art characters. The game will have characters appear from various SaGa games, but Square Enix wants you to rest assured that both Akitoshi Kawazu and writer Moku Tochibori are handling it.
- Akatsuki says making something that combines the tough SaGa-esque elements and simplicity of smartphone gaming is difficult to achieve, but that’s why they want to do it right. The goal is to get more fans from the current generation, as they’re developing the game with the desire of making a game that can be enjoyed for the next decade or longer.
Here are some screencaps from the event:
Romancing SaGa Re; Universe is in development for iOS and Android.