During the PlayStation meeting, Sony announced the new PlayStation 4 Pro console will go on sale November 10, 2016 in North America, Europe, and Japan for $399 (44,980 yen, €399, and £349). Lead system architect on PS4 Pro Mark Cerny detailed the features of the new console as follows:
- Upgraded GPU
- Upgraded CPU Clock
- 1 TB Hard Drive
Video footage from Spider-man, For Honor, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Watch Dogs 2 was shown projected in 4K during the conference to highlight the heightened graphics. Although the PS4 Pro is 4K compatible, all PS4s will be HDR compatible via an upcoming update.
Existing titles in the PlayStation 4 library will be patched to be compatible with PlayStation 4 Pro. This “forward compatibility” will be available on more than a dozen first-party and third-party titles. Going forward, developers have the option to implement PlayStation Pro features that include 4K compatibility and higher frame rates. Upcoming titles like Horizon: Zero Dawn will be PS4 Pro compatible at launch. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, Modern Warfare Remastered, and Call of Duty: Black Ops III will all be PS4 Pro compatible when the console launches.
Streaming services will also be available on PlayStation Pro. Netflix will be making over 100 hours of 4K footage available in their library. Season 2 of Narcos and Marvel’s Luke Cage will support 4K and HDR on PS4 Pro. A forthcoming YouTube app will also enable 4K streaming through the PS4 Pro as well.
Detailed console specs were released after the conference via press release:
- Main Processor: Single-chip custom processor, CPU: x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores
- GPU: 4.20 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon™ based graphics engine
- Memory: GDDR5 8GB
- External dimension: Approx. 295×55×327 mm (width × height × length) (excludes largest projection)
- Mass: Approx. 3.3 kg
- BD/ DVD drive (read-only): BD × 6 CAV, DVD × 8 CAV
- Input/Output: Super-Speed USB (USB 3.1 Gen.1) port × 3, AUX port × 1
- Networking: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)×1, IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth® 4.0 (LE)
- Power: AC 100V, 50/60Hz
- Power consumption: Max. 310W
- Operating temperature: 5ºC – 35ºC
- AV output: HDMI™ out port (supports 4K/HDR) DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) port