Spice & Wolf VR’s crowdfunding campaign on Campfire went live on November 25, 2018, and it has since smashed through the initial goal and one of the stretch goals. The Kickstarter campaign was delayed for around a week, due to unforeseen mistakes during application.
If you haven’t been following the news, Spice & Wolf VR is Team Spicy Tails’ latest game after Project Lux, featuring the voices behind Holo and Lawrence from the Spice & Wolf anime and a completely new story. You’ll be seeing Holo from Lawrence’s perspective in the game. Before the crowdfunding campaign, the game was coming to HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Oculus Go, and PC (as a non-VR video experience).
The project started with an 8,000,000 yen goal and is currently 212% funded at 17,000,000 yen. The Campfire campaign has PSVR support as a 15,000,000 yen stretch goal and Oculus Quest support at 20,000,000 yen, which means that PlayStation VR will be supported alongside the above platforms.
As for how this success will affect the Kickstarter, Siliconera has confirmed with Team Spicy Tails that everything will continue as planned so far.
While the Kickstarter isn’t up yet, here are some of the mid-to-high price incentives for funding the project that are on the Campfire page right now, which may carry over to the Kickstarter:
Traveling Merchant’s First Journey Set (12,000 yen)
- Game download key
- Original desktop wallpaper
- Digital artbook
- Deluxe game package (with brand-new short story included)
- Juu Ayakura newly illustrated poster
- Artbook (paperback)
Great Merchant’s Treasure Chest Set (80,000 yen)
Comes with all of the above previously mentioned, plus:
- Voice-acting script
- Original free-size T-shirt
- Copy of colored illustration with Isuna Hasekura & Juu Ayakura’s signatures
- Original cutlery set
- Original coin set (based off the in-universe fictional currency)
- Original music box based off the theme song
- In-game credits
And the absolute highest tier…
Moonlit Feast with the Wise Wolf Holo (400,000 yen)
Comes with all mentioned previously, plus:
- Crowdfunding commemoration tombstone
- Short movie of Holo saying your name
- Actual signatures from Hasekura and Ayakura with frame included
- Voice-acting script signed by Jun Fukuyama and Ami Koshimizu
- An original short movie where Holo answers a question from you
…Incidentally, this highest tier was open to two patrons, and both slots have been taken.
Finally, a new trailer has been released for the game:
Spice & Wolf VR will come to the HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, PC and also PlayStation VR in early 2019.