Square Enix celebrated the Dragon Quest series with a big event earlier today, where they shared an interesting look at how Akira Toriyama was asked to design the main characters of the triple million-seller Dragon Quest XI.
Here’s a look at the notes given to Akira Toriyama on what Square Enix wanted for the main character designs of Dragon Quest XI, with spoilers removed from the description.
- A 16-year old boy at about 170cm in height.
- A “hero” pursued by the kingdom, at the mercy of fate.
- A design that will make you think of “hero in the rough” who is different from past heroes.
- A cool 19-year-old young man of about 175cm in height.
- A mysterious hooded “Thief” who protects the hero under pursuit.
- A master of the sword who travels with the protagonist in order to _____.
- Outfit pointers: He wears a hooded outfit. His hood is usually down.
- ______ of about 160cm in height.
- A “Priest” descended from a family tasked with protecting the hero.
- An easygoing and innocent personality. Has a harp.
- Outfit pointers: please make it a miniskirt.
- A _______ girl of about 125cm in height.
- A “Mage” descended from a family tasked with protecting the hero.
- A robe and staff that is too big for her size. A strong personality.
- A ♥-year-old man of about 185cm in height.
- A dashing entertainer with a feminine way of speaking.
- A slim but muscular man with sex appeal. The party’s mood maker (life of a party).
- A ___ year-old girl of about 170cm in height.
- A “Female Monk” who travels the world with Row and has style.
- Is a mix of elegant and ____. Is sexy.
- Costume pointers: Please give her a cool weapon like a Naginata.
- An old man of around 70 years of age and 155cm in height.
- A “Mage” who travels with Martina.
- He used to be a _____.
- A nice old man.
Dragon Quest XI is available in Japan on the PlayStation 4 and Nintendo 3DS. The game will release in the West in 2018 and is also in development for Nintendo Switch.