The latest issue of Famitsu has an interview with Super Robot Wars T’s producer, Takanobu Terada, where he explained how each series came to be added in the latest crossover mecha game. He also revealed that the pilot of Gespenst, the special Original Generation unit in this game, will be original to this game.
Check out the highlights below:
- Bandai Namco and B.B. Studios focused more than usual this time on polls about what shows players wanted to see added, both in Japan and internationally. The King of Braves GaoGaiGar, Mobile Fighter G Gundam, The Brave Express Mightgaine, Gunbuster, Gun x Sword, Martian Successor Nadesico: The Motion Picture – prince of darkness were highly requested in both Japan and overseas.
- They also kept the “surprise slot”, which ended up being Cowboy Bebop and Arcadia of My Youth this time. The slot is commonly joked about as “the battleship slot”, but Terada explains that even in SRW V and SRW X, it never had to be a battleship. It’s just that after those battleships appeared in V and X, players requested that next time the Arcadia should join.
- Magic Knight Rayearth is a very different show compared to what’s usually added to SRW, but Terada says that it’s probably because especially now with Super Robot Wars X-Omega, the barrier of entry for joining the SRW roster has been lowered, so more people are requesting some more far-reaching series.
- The roster of SRW T was also decided by partially taking age groups into account. For players in their 40s, there is Arcadia of My Youth, for those a bit younger, Rayearth, even younger, Cowboy Bebop, and finally one of the most requested recent-year anime, Expelled from Paradise. There’s even Mazinger Z Infinity, a movie that only came out this year.
- Having a special OG unit is also something that was never guaranteed, but decided for this game too because it was popular in SRW X. Because Grungust, Huckebein, and Cybuster had already joined, they decided on bringing back the Gespenst. The Gespenst will be piloted by a character original to SRW T.
Super Robot Wars T releases in Japan on March 20, 2019 for PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch. It’ll release in Southeast Asia (Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, the Philippines, and Indonesia) on March 20, 2019 as well.