Matthew Mercer has been confirmed as the voice of Ganondorf in The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. This has prompted a lot of excitement online, but some may be wondering who the actor is.
Matthew Mercer is a prolific voice actor with a wide range of roles in video games and anime. He has been working in video games since 2004, as he played the title character in obscure PS2 title Scaler. Since then, he has built up a reputation for playing a range of beloved characters.
Here are some his more notable roles:
- Chrom (Fire Emblem series)
- Cole Cassidy (Overwatch)
- Goro Majima (Yakuza: Like a Dragon)
- Jack Cooper (Titanfall 2)
- Jotaro Kujo (JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure series)
- Kanji Tatsumi (various Persona 4 media)
- Kiritugu Emiya (Fate/Zero)
- Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil 6 and Death Island)
- Levi Ackerman (Attack on Titan)
- Yusuke Kitagawa (Persona 5)
- Seijirou Kikuoka (Sword Art Online)
- Trafalgar Law (One Piece)
In addition to his voice work, Matthew Mercer is also well-known as the Dungeon Master for the web series Critical Role. Here he leads a bunch of other voice actors in a Dungeons & Dragons game set in a homebrew world. The popularity of Critical Role led to an Amazon animated series, The Legend of Vox Machina. He has also been a contributor to official Dungeons & Dragons sourcebooks including The Explorer’s Guide to Wildemount.
Matthew Mercer will next be heard as Ganondorf in The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. It releases for the Nintendo Switch on May 12, 2023.