CD Projekt RED have released REDKit, the mod tool for The Witcher 2, for free. You can grab REDKit on its official website.
The editor has just entered its open beta phase, and allows you to play other modders’ creations or create your own. You can develop full-fledged stories and quests without the need to know how to program, using all of the art assets from The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, or by using your own art.
“For CD Projekt RED, RPGs are all about telling amazing stories,” said Adam Badowski, head of CD Projekt RED. “We want to give players the power to tell the same kind of non-linear, branching stories that made The Witcher games so popular. Our fans have helped us for years to make our games the best they can be, and REDkit is part of embracing our community as a partner in game development.”
Here’s a rundown of REDKit features:
- Intuitive tools developed for all would-be storytellers and game designers
- Complex and user-friendly terrain tools, including the SpeedTree foliage system
- Utilize the astonishing graphics and visuals that power The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
- Create a realistic and dynamic day and night cycle in a few clicks
- Implement non-linear stories and quests with a unique quest system that allows player decisions to impact the game world and plot
- Build believable characters, NPCs, and entire communities and set their interactions with the player
- Place dialogue cameras automatically or manually to create a filmlike experience