Ever since Drakengard 3 was announced as a download-only game in Europe, Square Enix Europe have been taking feedback from fans and passing it on to the required teams. The result is that Europe is now getting a collector’s edition of Drakengard 3 as well.
Below is a list of what you’ll find in the European collector’s edition, which is available exclusively from Square Enix’s online store and the SE boutique for France. It costs €69.99/£59.99 and will be limited to 2,000 copies.
- Clamshell Box – An eloquent display case featuring the flower that grows from Zero’s eye.
- Hardback Novella – This beautifully illustrated 160 page prequel story to Drakengard 3 (available in English language only) contains a collection of short stories written from the perspectives of each character.
- Add-on Pack – Downloadable tokens for the Ciam costume, an additional level where you play as One, Zero’s sister, and a Giant Baby Hat (yes, an enormous baby’s head for your dragon, Mikhail).
- Music Sampler CD – A CD containing a selection of mesmerising tracks from the game’s original soundtrack, composed by Keiichi Okabe (who also created the score for Nier).
- Double Sided Poster – A collectable double sided poster only available in the Collector’s Edition of Drakengard 3.
- The Game – While there won’t be a physical disc version of the Drakengard 3 for Europe and PAL territories, a download token will be included inside the box which you can redeem on the PlayStation Store.
- Japanese Voice DLC – Experience the game in its original audio with a download token for the original Japanese voice acting! This DLC is part of the Collector’s Edition, but will also be available for non-CE owners when you pre-order the standard digital game through the PlayStation Store (pre-orders start mid-April).
Drakengard 3 will be available in Europe on May 21st. Series director Taro Yoko—who also created NieR—recently gave a fascinating talk on his approach to storytelling in games, and you can read all about that here.