Welcome to Facebook Files…again. Here’s a rundown of how things work: Every week, we look through our Facebook group for the best community discussions. The ones that stand out are published on Siliconera as part of this feature every weekend. If your topic isn’t chosen one week, don’t lose heart…it might get picked up the next! (Although, I’ve been doing these for a couple weeks now)
Games from Japan — and sometimes even the West (see: Giants: Citizen Kabuto) — often tend to have ridiculous names. A lot of the time, the names don’t even mean anything in particular, but we still love them and probably wouldn’t have it any other way.
So let’s hear it: Which games do you think have the worst or best names ever? Link to full thread here.
Well, my favorite name might simply be Myst. It has both a nice ring and a chilling feel about it.
As for worst name ever, uhm. It’s not “bad” per se, but a name like Grim Fandango sure doesn’t do much to attract customers (too bad, because the game was awesome).
Here’s a few good ones:
• Brütal Legend – It’s clever and hilarious, you can’t really argue with that.
• Dragon Quest: The Hand of the Heavenly Bride – It’s fittingly epic and not a bunch of non-relevant bullshit.
• Freshly Picked: Tingle’s Rosy Rupeeland – As quirky as the game :D
• Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs the Soulless Army – I kinda fancy long titles and this one’s just spectacular.
• Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! What Did I do to Deserve This? – Shows how good translations can be if you adapt them to the relevant culture. Doraemon? Batman!
• Cyber Troopers Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram – So full of nonsense you get intrigued. I know I was!
• I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES 1NIT!!!1 – Humorous title for the internet generation.
Tales of Graces – Just…ugh. Don’t get me started. At one point, they’d registered “Tales of Gracia” and even that sounds better.
Nier Gestalt / Replicant – Sounds nonsensical, completely uninteresting and gives you zero idea of what to expect.
For some reason I’ve never really liked the title Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth. For me, it just sounds awkward when I saw it out loud, which is why I normally say Hoshigami. =P
Not that it’s a bad title per se, it just seems awkward to me. Same with Arc the Lad. Fantastic series, but the title just seems so awkward. =/
I’m leaning towards suckitude with Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero? The name is relevant and I’ve built up tons of goodwill towards the penguin-bomb folk, but I hate that title more every time I have to say it. I mean, read this out loud: Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero? Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero?P rinny: Can I Really Be the Hero?
[Next week: What’s your favourite ninja game?]