In the second part of his internal E3 interview with Square Enix, Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy XV director Tetsuya Nomura voices a few of his thoughts on the latter game. Nomura’s revelations of Final Fantasy XV aren’t as interesting as on Kingdom Hearts, but below is the video, in case you want to watch. The FF talk begins a little after the halfway mark.
Here are a few interesting tidbits from the talk with Nomura:
- As previously reported, discussions regarding renaming Versus XIII to Final Fantasy XV began early on, and the final decision was made a couple of years ago.
- There isn’t much of a turn-based style to the game, but there is a Command system as well. The game won’t be an “action-only” game. It needs to have the taste of Final Fantasy.
- Imagine what it would feel like if Final Fantasy were to become an action game.
- Noctis can battle by himself, but will be able to cooperate with other players/characters. The teamplay will also be connected to the game’s story. (Note: Whether this refers to multiplayer or AI-controlled team players is unknown, although Nomura has mentioned the possibility of multiplayer)
- Noctis can’t actually defy gravity as it may seem to appear in the trailer; he can teleport himself into the air. The idea is to create a balance between realism and fantastical game actions.
- Final Fantasy XV is being created at a quality higher than next-gen consoles are capable of, and the game is being ported down to consoles capable of running DirectX 11. Nomura specifically says that Square Enix will consider releasing the game for other hardware capable of running DirectX 11 as well. We’re going to assume that a PC release for FFXV is a very serious possibility.
Final Fantasy XV is in development for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.