4Gamer has gone up with their annual tradition of year-end talks with developers. Here are some teasers heading into 2017 from Arc System Works, Atlus, Koei Tecmo, Square Enix, and many others.
Since the developers had so much to talk about as they do every year for the feature, here are highlights of 2017 teasers:
Arc System Works
- Kazutoshi Sekine (Battle Planner): I hope we get to do all kinds of new things in 2017, and I think it’d be nice if we could release something.
- Toshimichi Mori (Producer): BlazBlue’s “scenario” has simply come to an end, but BlazBlue will continue to liven up. I also hope to make something other than fighting games.
- Kazuyuki Yamai (Director): Next year is Shin Megami Tensei’s 25th anniversary. I think it’d be nice if we can an event of some sort or ready something up for it.”
- Hiroyuki Kobayashi (Producer): Personally, 2017 will be a year for all kinds of preparations.
- Hiroshi Matsuyama (CEO): No comment for development beyond the new Naruto title. I can’t say anything yet.
- Yujiro Usuda (Producer): I can’t share details yet, but we’re planning on releasing several console titles. We’re working hard to make you all feel shocked! Surprised! And boing?
- Hajime Chikami (Producer): While continuing the challenge of a new genre other than the dungeon RPGs we specialize in, we’re working on plans for a new dungeon RPG geared towards the core fans that I hope to release.
- Nobuya Narita (Producer): I think it’s about time we’ll see some movement on the console version of that and something that is a new-ish game.
- Takuya Yamanaka (Game Director, Producer): FuRyu is currently planning out an ambitious original title for 2017 as well.
GungHo Online Entertainment
- Kazuki Morishita (CEO): This year, we were able to release Puzzle & Dragons X, Let It Die, and Seventh Rebirth that took three years, but next year I hope to release more in a shorter span and within the year.
- Daisuke Yamamoto (Producer): We might be able to release a new title other than Puzzle & Dragons! It’ll be a challenge on a genre that is my number one specialty!
Idea Factory/Compile Heart
- Norihisa Kochiwa (Director of game development): We’re currently preparing a new RPG. Please look forward to its announcement.
- Yoshimi Yasuda (President-Director): We plan to announce two new titles in 2017. There are also plans for new smartphone games as well.
Koei Tecmo Games
- Kenichi Ogasawara (Executive Officer): 2017 is Omega Force’s 20th anniversary. We will continue to announce great work that is suitable for the turning point year.
- Hisashi Koinuma (Chief Operating Officer): This year [for 2017] we’ll release numerous titles for home consoles, and we’ll also take on the challenge of new hardware and smartphone titles.
- Takashi Morinaka (Producer, Director): We’ll deliver a new evolution for the Toukiden series in 2017 as well.
- Shoji Masuda (Representative Director): I won’t be able to reveal details in 2017 but we have two biggish presentations, so I hope we get to choose one of them.
- Kenichiro Takaki (Booby Producer): We’re vigorously working on additional new titles and new developments.
Nippon Ichi Software
- Tatsuya Izumi (Director, Game Designer): Coven and Labyinrth of Refrain was well-received, and I’m getting the vibe that we’ll be able to make a sequel for it. Those of you wishing to see a sequel, please be sure to mention it in the questionnaires.
- Sohei Niikawa (CEO): We’re going to keep challenging new endeavors. We also have plans for Nintendo Switch.
- Masayuki Furuya (Director, Character Designer): I’m currently working on a titles that has ideas that are different from what we’ve had up until now.
- Takumi Nakazawa (Planner, Director, Producer): We were able to spend this past year working on countless projects behind the scenes. They’re all unannounced titles, but I believe we’ll get to reveal them next year.
- Takeshi Kozawa (Game Director): I hope to make it into a year that further expands on the IP known as Valkyria. I also hope to make an announcement for something new sometime in 2017.
- Harumasa Nakajima (Director): 2017 will be the time of preparation for all kinds of new things, so I hope to work out various plans.
- Toshihiro Nagoshi (Board Member, Yakzua series general director): We were able to meet a turning point for the Yakuza series. I hope to announce something different sometime soon.
- Mizuki Hosoyamada (Puyo Puyo General Producer): I’m thinking about announcing something around mid-January.
Sony Interactive Entertainment
- Keiichiro Toyama (Creative Director): After releasing Gravity Rush 2’s DLC, I’m going to get ready to start on a new title right away.
- Teruyuki Toriyama (Japan Studio Producer): I can’t get into detail yet, but we’ve begun production on an ambitious title and plans for a new title.
- Masaaki Yamagiwa (Producer): We’re continuing activities behind the scenes, and I hope that 2017 will be the year that we can make all of our preparations into a reality.
- Yuichiro Saito (Line Producer): I hope to challenge a new title after Danganronpa V3.
- Masanori Ichikawa (Producer): I can’t disclose anything now, but I hope you’re all enjoying the SaGa series.
- Yukinori Kitajima (Writer, scenario writer for Senran Kagura and many other works): I believe we’ll have announcements for all kinds of new titles for games and anime.
- Makoto Kedouin (Scenario Writer, Team GrisGris Director): I believe there will be some big activities for Corpse Party again in 2017!
- Scott Tsumura (Executive Producer): We have plans for Spelunker, Lode Runner, and other developments for 2017.
Yoko Taro: This is completely unrelated, but they say that tuna fishing boats have been stopping fishing boats at the Cape Town offing lately, so the fishermen are having to move using aircrafts. Times definitely change. I wish you all a good year. All right.