Pokémon GO will be debuting a new Special Research story event called “A Drive to Investigate.” This special event will feature Genesect, the Paleozoic Pokemon and will start on March 20, 2020. It will also cost money to participate in, with a ticket priced at $7.99. Also, as Polygon noted, Niantic is adjusting the difficulty amid coronavirus concerns, so people could complete this challenge alone.
The Genesect Special Research event’s story focuses on a peculiar trail of damage found by Professor Willow. However, it seems that the damage has been caused by one specific Pokémon, though it also seems like the Pokémon in question used a wide variety of attacks with different types. It’s up to you to uncover the mystery of which Pokémon did this (it is absolutely Genesect) and perhaps (definitely) meet it face-to-face. Trainers can purchase a ticket in-app to gain access to this event up until March 26, 2020.
Buying a ticket will include the following bonuses:
- A Drive to Investigate Medal
- An encounter with Durant, which is usually only available in the Eastern hemisphere
- Exclusive Genesect-themed avatar items, such as a bag and a cap
- 5 Premium Battle Passes, 3 Super Incubators, 3 Charged TMs, 3 Fast TMs, 3 Incense, 3 Star Pieces, 1 Poffin, 15 Rare Candies, and 1 Glacial Lure
- Encounters with Scyther, Skarmory, Nicada, and Shieldon after completing the Field Research tasks
In addition, there will be a ton of features available to Trainers during Genesect’s debut event. Here’s a look at what you can expect in-game:
- Normal-, Fire-, Water-, Electric-, and Ice-type Pokémon will appear much more often in the wild. Some Pokémon you might see more of include Jigglypuff, Magnemite, Marill, Houndour, and Snorunt.
- Nincada will be appearing in the wild and will hatch from 5km Eggs. Shiny ones will occasionally be present.
- Karrablast and Shelmet will hatch more often from 5km Eggs.
- One- to four-star Raid Battles will feature various Big or Steel-type Pokémon, as Genesect is a Bug/Steel Pokémon.
Additionally, there will be some Bonuses that trainers can enjoy during this event too:
- 2x Catch Stardust
- 2x Hatch Stardust
For people who don’t buy a ticket, Genesect will also begin to appear in EX Raids starting April 2020.
Pokémon GO’s Genesect-themed event will run between March 20-26, 2020. The ticket will cost $7.99 or the equivalent in your local currency. Please note it cannot be purchased with PokéCoins.