Nintendo have released a new firmware update for the Wii U that allows Wii games to be played on the Wii U GamePad. The catch is that you can’t use the GamePad to control them, and still need to use a Wii Remote.
Here’s a full list of features the update adds:
- A feature to output video and sound to the Wii U GamePad when using Wii Mode¹
- Users can choose to output to the TV and GamePad, or just the TV
- A feature to automatically receive recommended software and demo titles from Nintendo using SpotPass
- Support for USB keyboards
- An option to disable use of a Nintendo Network ID on non-Nintendo hardware, such as PCs and smartphones
- Support for Dolby® Pro Logic® II Surround Sound when playing Wii software
Changes to Wii U Menu:
- Added a friend list icon to the Wii U Menu for easier access to the Friend List
Changes to System Settings:
- An option to automatically receive recommended software is now available under “Internet”
- A setting to select which cable outputs sound is available through “TV”
- Users can choose to output sound through an HDMI cable, non-HDMI cable, or both cables at the same time. Click here for instructions
- A setting to adjust the hourly interval in which standby functions are performed is available under “Power Settings” when Standby Functions are enabled
Changes to Wii U Chat:
- Added the option to view a friend’s profile on Miiverse when sending or receiving a chat request
- Users can now chat using a headset connected to the Wii U GamePad
Changes to Internet Browser:
- Pressing the R or L Buttons on the Wii U GamePad will skip video playback forward/back a small amount of time
- Holding the R Button will speed up video playback
- Ability to save username and passwords for websites that require login²
- Ability to launch the Internet Browser during gameplay and upload screenshots
- Added support for viewing PDF files³
- Added features intended for website developers that allow the user to enable developer tools and set user agent
Improvements to system stability and usability:
- Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience
¹ Wii software displayed on the Wii U GamePad cannot be controlled by the GamePad. This feature only allows Wii software to be displayed on the GamePad. A Wii Remote Plus or Wii Remote is required to play Wii software titles.
² Users can delete saved usernames and passwords from the Internet Browser settings.
³ Sometimes data may not be displayed correctly depending on the size and format of the PDF file. PDF files cannot be saved.