Capcom and streaming website Twitch are partnering to host the “Capcom Pro Tour,” a Street Fighter IV-focused fighting game league that will run all throughout 2014, the two companies announced this morning.
The Capcom Pro Tour will be a combination of “premier events” such as EVO, ranking tournament and online tournaments, with the grand finals scheduled to take place in December 2014. The goal of the tour, Capcom say, is to “provide an infrastructure which helps support tournament organizers, while delivering increased production values, supplementary video content, and new opportunities for players, content creators and sponsors.”
The tour will focus entirely on the Street Fighter IV series of games. The early portion of the tour will focus on Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, and will then transition to Ultra Street Fighter IV, once that game is available in June.
Here’s the current lineup of premier events that are part of the tour so far:
- Final Round (March 14~16 – Atlanta, GA, USA)
- NorCal Regionals (April 18~20 – Sacramento, CA, USA)
- Southeast Asia Majors (June 20~22 – Singapore)
- Community Effort Orlando (June 27~29 – Orlando, FL, USA)
- Evolution Championship Series (July 11~13 – Las Vegas, NV, USA)
- The Fall Classic (October 10~12 – Raleigh, NC, USA)
- DreamHack Winter (November 27~30 – Jönköping, Sweden)
By the end of the year, there will be a total of 10 events in the Capcom Pro Tour. A total of 16 spots will be available in the tour, and there are two ways for players to qualify. Capcom stated: “Players who win a premier event will instantly qualify, and the remaining spots will be determined using a new point structure which tracks the rankings of players that compete in the tour.”
Capcom say all premier events will continue to retain their independence, and will collaborate with Capcom and Twitch to deliver livestreams via the Capcom Fighters TV Channel. Additionally, here’s a list of ranking events that are part of the tour:
- SoCal Regionals (February 28~March 2, Los Angeles, CA, USA)
- PAX East (April 11~13 – Boston, MA, USA)
- E3 (June 10~12 – Los Angeles, CA, USA)
- San Diego Comic Con (July 24~27 – San Diego, CA, USA)
More details on the tour can be found on its official website.