Nihon Falcom has released a free prologue version of The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki in Japan. Anyone with a Japanese PSN account can immediately download this free trial and play the title’s first ten hours. The company also simultaneously released an update patch for the full release of Kuro no Kiseki, adding an option for a variable frame rate that can go up to 60fps.
The free version contains stories from the Prologue and Chapter 1. It also lets players try out the battle systems, including the Grendel transformation. However, the trial version does not support DLC. Players can immediately carry over their save data from the trial to the full game.
Meanwhile, the version 1.10 update patch brings in some quality-of-life improvements other than the variable frame rate option. Nihon Falcom has previously stated that it will not add more new gameplay content with update patches, as it immediately focuses on developing the next Trails title.
Here are the full patch notes for Kuro no Kiseki‘s version 1.10 update, released on October 29, 2021:
- Added option to allow a variable frame rate with a maximum of 60fps
- Added feature to skip allies’ S-Craft and best Arts cutscenes
- The Orbment’s auto-equip system now also automatically changes Quartz to the best versions
- Pressing L2 + Up during event selections can now open the Log menu
- Added option to move left and right while selecting a target
- Added Shard Skill List into the Orbment setting screen
- Upgraded several event scenes, such as the prologue
- Fixed an issue that would cause players to get stuck after certain kinds of controls and battles
- Fixed typos and other issues
The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki is immediately available for PlayStation 4 in Japan. Clouded Leopard Entertainment will release the Traditional Chinese and Korean localized versions in East Asia on February 10, 2022. Nihon Falcom’s CEO Toshihiro Kondo has expressed his interest in porting this game to PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch.