Bandai Namco revealed more details on the upcoming new arcade game Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs 2 X Boost after holding a closed beta test on November 8, 2020. The upcoming new version to the popular 10-years-old 2vs2 team battle game series will bring a lot of changes to the EX Burst system. [Thanks, 4Gamer!]
Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs Maxi Boost ON, the latest version to receive a console release on PlayStation 4 globally in July 2020, had 3 types of EX Bursts available: Fighting Burst, Shooting Burst, and Extend Burst. The newer version currently running in Japanese arcades, Extreme Vs 2, added Linkage Burst and Mobility Burst to the lineup. The latter grants a massive boost in mobility with a slight increase to the lock-on range, while allowing steps on some projectile attacks.
The upcoming X Boost will only retain Fighting, Shooting, and Mobility Bursts from the previous version. The remaining two Bursts will be replaced with the following new EX Bursts:
- Raging Burst – Reduces damage taken while granting a super armor that makes the unit harder to flinch while attacking.
- Covering Burst – If the user has at least 50% filled in the EX Gauge, they can use an EX Burst even when getting hit. This supportive Burst will also gradually fill the partner’s EX Gauge.
X Boost will also add a new Extreme Burst X (pronounced Extreme Burst Cross) feature that triggers when both players in a team activate EX Bursts simultaneously. In the closed beta test, each EX Burst type receives a different additional effect when this feature is triggered:
- Fighting Burst – Prolongs the active duration of EX Burst when an attack hits.
- Shooting Burst – Enemies hit by all of the user’s attacks will be more difficult to get into a Downed state.
- Mobility Burst – Recovers Boost Gauge when an attack hits.
- Covering Burst – Reduces damage taken.
- Raging Burst – Recovers Health when an attack hits.
Bandai Namco also revealed that—out of the 4 new Mobile Suits teased in the X Boost key art—the Kabakali from Gundam: Reconguista in G will be added earlier to the current Extreme Vs 2 version on November 26, 2020. The remaining 3 Mobile Suits—Unicorn Gundam 03 Phenex, Gundam Flauros, and Star Build Strike Gundam—will have to wait until X Boost officially launches with a massive roster of 198 units from 41 Gundam titles.
Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs 2 X Boost will launch on Japanese arcades in Spring 2021.